Lighting: Previously, all of my lighting was hardcoded in the method that renders the scene. Now it’s all hardcoded in a separate class. That’s one more step to making lights configurable, as the game will eventually have multiple parks to choose from.
Also with the lights, instead of moving them with each wave, now the lights stay the same for each cycle. At the end of the crowded wave, when the cycle starts over, the lighting shifts to the next phase.
Rendering: I added vertex array objects for all the sprites, which gives me a small performance boost. I still notice some slowness on the crowded wave (mostly on my laptop). There are a couple more ideas I have for boosting performance, maybe I’ll write up a more detailed post later this week.
And for those of you who just tuned in to see the sample:
You realize you can view these weekly samples on the 4000 Pounds Twitter and Facebook pages, right?
This week I worked on a few different sub-projects for my game. Lately, the things I’m working on are a little bit of a struggle, but I’m keeping at it:
Sound! I finally added sound effects to the game. It’s been… a while since I last mentioned them. But the game has sound now.
Like most other things, what I have are just placeholders for now. Implementation was fairly easy – the hard part is trying to find good pigeon sounds. Have to keep looking.
Player controls: I am working on revising the controls, taking out some of the player’s special moves. I know that sounds like it sucks, but while the “flying” and “long-dash” abilities were well-intentioned, as I’ve tested the game I found them to be more annoying than anything. Especially when I’d do them by accident. Working out some other special moves though.
Progress Screen: I’m working on adding a screen to show the player’s high score, achievements, unlocked things, whatever.